Salary: $207,856.28 - $217,856.28 Annually
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Job Type: Appointed Official
Department: Medical Examiner
Job Number: 2020-03753
Job Description: This position reports to the District Chief Medical Examiner and provides medico-legal interpretations, performs autopsies, testifies in court and generates death certificates.
Examples of Work:
• Performs autopsies and physical examinations to determine the cause and manner of death. Interprets histological, toxicological, chemical, hematological and microbiological laboratory results.
• Maintains Medical Examiner records and follows policies/procedures for the documentation of the chain of custody of decedent personal effects, evidence and human remains.
• Performs and formulates on-call and death scene investigation/triage decisions.
• Testifies in deposition and in court as an expert witness, effectively presenting and communicating findings in a logical manner.
• Appropriately responds to and addresses questions posed by judges, attorneys, family members, and members of the media or public.
• Generates death certificates.
• Reviews, approves, and records cremation requests.
• Performs other duties as required.
Open Requirements/Supplemental Information
• Graduation from an approved school of medicine.
• Completion of an accredited anatomic or anatomic/clinical pathology residency and the completion of an accredited forensic fellowship program is required.
• Board certification in anatomic or anatomic/clinical pathology and board eligibility in forensic pathology is required.
• Forensic board certification must be completed within two years of appointment.
• Possession of a current license to practice in the State of Florida is required.
ONLINE APPLICATION REQUIRED. Apply at www.coj.net/jobs. NEOGOV works best with Google Chrome, Firefox and Internet Explorer version 11 or higher browsers. Please try to apply using one of these browsers. You may have to cut and paste the link into the browser's search area. Be sure to add coj.net to your address book to ensure you receive email notifications. You may also check your application status at any time by logging into your account.
If claiming veteran's preference, you must attach a DD-214 (Member Form-4 copy) or military discharge papers, or equivalent certification from the Department of Veterans Affairs listing military status, dates of service and character of discharge. If a candidate believes he or she was not afforded veteran's preference, he or she may file an email complaint or written complaint, within 60 calendar days upon receipt of notification of the hiring decision, requesting an investigation to:
Florida Department of Veterans Affairs
Veterans Preference Coordinator
11351 Ulmerton Road, Suite 311
Largo, FL 33778-1630
Agency: City of Jacksonville
Address: 117 West Duval Street, Suite 100, Jacksonville, Florida, 32202
Phone: (904) 255-5600